Want to make a delicious vegan sweet treat but have no kitchen scales, no egg mold, no icing pipe and can’t cook to save your life? Boy, do I have the perfect recipe for you!
I’ve had it in my head for a while now that I wanted to make vegan creme eggs, but being the un patient idiot that I am, I didn’t want to order an egg mold and wait a week for it to come, so I thought an ice cube tray would do exactly the same job. I have been making my own recipes for dinner for a little while now so I thought it was time to venture onto desserts. If my mam, who has never cooked a vegan dessert in her life, could make a whole vegan birthday cake then I could definitely make some measly little creme cubes.
When I came out of the kitchen I had melted chocolate covering my body (not in a good way) and little clumps of icing attached to my face. I tried to use a recipe from a website called ‘wearesovegan.com’ but as stated before, I had no scales, so here is my own recipe that I completely made up on the spot. Along with some do’s and don’ts.
- 3 blocks of NoMo chocolate
- Half a block of regal icing (make sure it’s vegan, I got mine from Asda)
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- ½ a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- A silicone ice cube tray
- I started by boiling some water in a pan and placing a bowl on top of the water, I broke up the 3 blocks of chocolate and placed them in the bowl to melt. I have no idea why I didn’t just use the microwave, I guess I felt fancy doing it like this. If you want to feel fancy, use a bowl and pan. If you’re a forward thinking individual, stick it in the microwave.
- I then used a teaspoon and poured the chocolate into 12 of the cubes about half way. Do not do this. This recipe is not going to make 12 creme cubes, but will make around 6-7. Fill half of 6-7 cubes with melted chocolate and put them in the freezer for about ten minutes.
- I took out half my regal icing and then cut another quarter off it. Grate this and put it into a spare bowl.
- Add your ¼ cup of sugar and 2 cups of water into a pan and put on a low boil until the sugar has dissolved, add about 3 tablespoons of the sugar water to the ¼ regal icing along with your turmeric and vanilla extract. Now, mix like your dog’s life depends on it until it looks as smooth as you can get it.
- Grate the rest of the regal icing you have left and add about 6 teaspoons of sugar water to it and again, get your muscles pumping and mix until smooth. At this point I got impatient and thought if I put the icing in the microwave it will get smoother faster. Do not do this, It came out looking like a very unholy substance. Mix with a spoon.
- Take your ice cube tray out of the freezer and begin the most stressful part. Now, I did not have a icing pump so I had to use a teaspoon for this, put a dollop of white icing in the centre of the cube followed by a dollop of the yellow icing. As straightforward as this seems, I think I had an existential crisis doing it. Add the remaining melted chocolate on top and pop back in the freezer for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and pop them out of the tray, leave to soften for a little bit until they are ready to eat.
- Never mention that you made these ever again.
They came out ridiculously gooey and messy but tasted exactly like creme eggs. Head over to my twitter @nomveganwithme to see my time lapse of the chocolatey situation, and enjoy this picture of me realising I had made a huge mistake.